The Captain’s Corner – Music
1 May, 2023
Hello and thanks for tuning in as we explore the world of music!
Music is such an important experience for little ones. In our household, you’ll find us singing with our kids to celebrate something fun, to turn a sad mood around, or to help with a tough transition (like changing a diaper or getting ready for bedtime). We had a hunch that there would be some fantastic books on this topic, and these treasures are bound to strike all the right chords.
And, as always, we’ve included a guide to some interactive activities that will have your kids humming, singing, and dancing all month long. If you need some extra inspiration, check out the how-to guides and handy pictures below.
Boost Their Creativity
Bring this month’s activity guide to life with these craft activities for the WobbleCaptain and CuriousCaptain clubs.
Itsy Bitsy Spider (WobbleCaptain)
Supplies: Paper towel roll, yarn, paper, scissors, markers, hole punch
- Draw a spider on a sheet of paper and cut it out.
- Punch holes at the top and bottom of the spider.
- Cut a piece of yarn (twice the length of the paper towel roll).
- Attach the yarn to the spider with the two holes you punched.
- Add the yarn through the paper towel roll and tie the two ends together.
- Move the yarn up and down to watch the spider go up and down the water spout.
Tips for engagement: Child can help color the spider so they are part of the creating process. Use the spider and water spout as you read the page in the book and sing the song.
Dance with Scarves (CuriousCaptain)
Supplies: Scarves/towels, music
- Give your child two scarves.
- Turn on some music and dance!
Tips for Engagement: Use some scarves yourself and show your child how to dance with them. Enjoy dancing and exploring the music together!
DIY Kazoo (CuriousCaptain)
Supplies: Toilet paper roll, art supplies (crayons/ markers/ paint), pencil, wax paper, rubber band
- Decorate your toilet paper roll with art supplies.
- Use a pencil to poke holes around the toilet paper roll.
- Attach a square of wax paper to the top of the toilet paper roll with a rubber band.
- Try out your new instrument by blowing into it!
Tips for Engagement: It could be fun to put on some music and use your new instrument to play along. Or use the kazoo to improvise and compose your own music!